Position Overview | The Big Picture
The BlackOak Video Producer is responsible for successfully managing the project cycle of pre-recorded and live audio and video-based projects and events. The Video Producer will also work directly with clients and producers to respond to client RFPs and inquiries and assist in the creation of proposals and other sales documents. This position uses independent judgment and reports to and receives direction from the Managing Director, Director of Operations, and the Department Manager. This position may provide direction to support staff to complete projects.
Essential Duties | What You’ll Do – The Fun Stuff
- Manages every stage of a project from advising sales and creative development, to pre-production and planning, production, and post-production and delivery.
- Develops project timelines and meet goals, with assistance and input from the client and producer
- Manages and track project budget and expenses to ensure product is delivered as specified and in budget.
- Hires crew and equipment as necessary to meet specialized project needs.
- Develops working relationships with outside production crew and suppliers.
- May perform pre-contract work such as developing creative briefs, writing scopes of work, estimating project budgets, creating product demos and reels.
- Collaborates with all creative and production stakeholders to deliver creative work according to creative brief.
- Collaborate with production stakeholders which may include technical staff, décor staff, over hire personnel and other individuals who are working to produce a successful event and client experience.
- Independently manages work on simultaneous projects to meet production deadlines while staying in budget.
- Directs creation of any related paperwork including but not limited to storyboards, shot lists, scripts, floorplans and diagrams, equipment lists, and schedules.
- Creates and updates pullsheets and financial documents utilizing computerized inventory software.
- May advise management on production equipment and software investment.
- Coordinates with sub-rental vendors and Asset Supervisor to ensure all rental orders are complete.
- Maintains personal workspaces to ensure work is organized, safe and free from obstacles and debris.
- May lead complicated on-site installs and/or operation of event production equipment.
- Conducts site surveys in advance of upcoming shows if needed.
Qualifications | What You Need to Bring
- Bachelor’s Degree in video, broadcast, or film production or related field preferred.
- 5+ years of experience in video or film production.
- 2+ years of experience in project management
- Practical knowledge of lighting for video, camera operation, field audio recording.
- Familiarity with Graphic Design and principles.
- Experience with Adobe Creative suite specifically Adobe Premiere and After Effects.
- Experience in storyboarding, storytelling, and scriptwriting.
- Experience directing trained and untrained on-screen talent to follow a script and blocking instruction.[LT8]
- Familiarity with video and audio post-production. Experience and ability a plus.
- Ability to deal effectively with a diversity of individuals at all organizational levels.
- Excellent internal and external customer service skills required.
- Works well under pressure with a proven ability to multitask, work in a fast-paced setting, and meet deadlines and goals.
- Knowledge of Chicago venues, interesting spaces, or location scouting a plus.
- Knowledge of live event and/or theatrical production a plus.
- Event safety training experience and certification desired.
- Ability to work flexible hours including early, late and weekend hours.
- Good knowledge and ability to use tools and equipment that may include: electrical wire, electrical testers, fuses, soldering iron, pliers, wire strippers, c-wrench, screwdriver, hand drill, tape measure, dollies, 30’ scissor lifts, and 8 foot, 12 and 14 foot ladders.