Position Overview | The Big Picture
The Director of Operations directs the day-to-day production and operations of BlackOak Technical Productions. This position oversees the execution of all events and ensures staff is completing projects safely, within budget, and at division standards for quality and customer satisfaction. In addition, this position oversees the day-to-day IT staffing, operations, and infrastructure of Kehoe Designs. This position functions independently to accomplish goals. The Director reports to the Managing Director and may receive direction from the company owner.
Leadership Requirements | How You Will Blaze the Trail
- Projects the image that the company wants to convey to the marketplace.
- Mentors direct reports and team to strengthen skills and effectiveness and build individual leadership.
- Manages performance; coaches and counsels team on an ongoing and timely basis.
- Builds consensus and commitment for achieving the organization’s vision and goals.
- Uses effective work strategies to influence decision-making and create ownership.
- Listens to, thanks, and effectively communicates with all contributors in the organization.
- Takes measurable steps to develop the mutual trust and respect necessary for a productive and positive work environment.
- Models personal integrity, sound business ethics, the company mission, values, policies, and procedures; communicates to and expects the same of staff.
Essential Duties | What You’ll Do – The Fun Stuff
- Manages department and production staff throughout the employee life cycle.
- Responsible for delegating work, scheduling daily workload, and managing work hours according to project needs and budget requirements.
- Recruits, interviews, hires, and trains department staff. Negotiates rates and pay terms.
- Manages IT staff and IT vendors and contractors.
- Sources temporary labor as needed. Negotiates rates and terms as needed.
- Collaborates with Human Resources regarding recruitment, performance management, workers compensation, creating job descriptions, and other areas as needed.
- Directs day-to-day operations for business division.
- Assists Managing Director and Senior Management with brand and division growth and goals.
- Periodically reviews financial and performance metrics including event P&L and labor analysis.
- Continually reviews and improves production and sales operation processes to scale with growth.
- Utilizes computerized inventory and ERP software to generate reports.
- Develops a yearly Capital and Operational expenditure budget as well as long-term capex/opex planning.
- Creates revenue and staffing forecasts.
- Monitors all upcoming projects in all phases and plans production appropriately. Addresses potential budget overruns in production stages.
- Reviews projects pre-sale and pre-installation to ensure they are up to production standards.
- Reviews client proposals pre-sales to verify viability or assists with complex pricing and design.
- Prices and analyzes costs for project proposals as well as purchasing proposals.
- Reviews and approves purchase orders and other expenditures; ensures adherence to PO policy.
- Reviews general ledger monthly to address any misappropriated expenses or revenues.
- Reviews Project P&Ls on a regular basis to assess operational efficiency.
- Creates, maintains, and updates metrics and staff KPIs.
- Reviews, negotiates, and approves contracts and agreements with vendors, contractors, and clients.
- Directs inventory procedures, office, and warehouse layout.
- Advises sales team on new offerings or improvements and changes from production.
- Recommends yearly CapEx purchase list to senior management and direct acquisition process.
- Manages Company-wide Information Technology ensuring reliability, compliance, and security of digital assets.
- Occasionally visits job site to oversee or participate in project install, strike, or operation of equipment.
Qualifications | What You Need to Bring
- Bachelors’ Degree theater production, audio or video engineering, live event production, or MBA.
- 10+ years of live event production experience.
- 8+ years experience in project or people management.
- Experience with collecting and analyzing large sets of data.
- Familiarity with Human Resources procedures and policies.
- Extensive technical knowledge of all aspects of live event AV production including lighting, audio, video, and rigging.
- Basic understanding of electrical capabilities and proper, safe utilization of A/C power distribution and Generators.
- Basic understanding of computer networks.
- Experience using or configuring computerized inventory or ERP software.
- Extensive ability with Microsoft Office and Office365 products including Excel, Teams, and Sharepoint.
- Ability to deal effectively with a diversity of individuals at all organizational levels.
- Excellent internal and external customer service skills required.
- Works well under pressure with a proven ability to multitask, work in a fast-paced setting, and meet deadlines and goals.
- Event safety training experience and certification desired.
- Certifications, training, or knowledge in Lean, Six Sigma, or other work methods a plus.
- Ability to work flexible hours including early, late, and weekend hours.
- Good knowledge and ability to use tools and equipment that may include: electrical wire, electrical testers, fuses, soldering iron, pliers, wire strippers, c-wrench, screwdriver, hand drill, tape measure, dollies, 30’ scissor lifts, and 8-foot, 12 and 14-foot ladders.